Friday, September 21, 2012

How to Have a Good Time

My last post about non-contributing contributions had a lot to do with some of the things I can't stand about a lot of people. I figured I'd take an opposite approach in this one and, instead of venting, I'd like to try to give you something to think about that will possibly help you have more fun in your life. It's part of life that you will have bad days and that work, school, family, friends, and/or whatever you ate for lunch will make you angry at times. Here's a tip to make life easier (and I'm not a hypocrite because I'll admit that I'm still working on this myself).




TAKE THINGS IN GOOD HUMOR

I have a good example for this one. Usually celebrities have to deal with all sorts of hate, ridicule, and people making fun of them. A lot of them don't take it very well. The news picks up stories all the time where a celebrity just snaps and beats up a camera man. I understand that it's probably pretty hard, especially for younger celebrities. I don't think any of us can really blame them since we don't know what that's like. Everyone has a breaking point.

I was in a mood to check out some Youtube videos after work today before going on a bike ride (while I try to exercise regularly, I have become a jedi master at procrastination when it comes to jogs and bike rides). I stumbled upon the following video:


Watch it because it's hilarious. It's a Bad Lip Reading video of Michael Bublé's "Haven't met you yet." I'm gonna go on record here and say that I'm a fan of Bublé. I'm a fan of rat pack music in small doses (especially Sinatra) and he kind of reminds me of that style. Bublé's Christmas album is also really good. Now Bublé had the option of being pissed off and getting all mad about this video. When he watched it, however, he took it in good humor and actually posted a video response on his Youtube channel talking about his favorite parts. He laughed about the whole thing. Here's his response video:


When someone makes fun of your life and accuses you of killing Russian unicorns and drinking fire water, you have a choice. You can get mad or you can laugh about it (because I doubt most people could have a neutral reaction to this). Props to Mr. Bublé for just laughing it off.

FIND REASONS TO LAUGH

Horrible stuff that happens to you is hard to laugh about when it's happening. Or is it? It may be easier to get mad about it right then but keep in mind that it will eventually make an entertaining or a funny story. Lots of my stories about the Philippines are that way. They weren't very funny at the time but they make me laugh now. Why not just move up the timeline? Have a good time even when you're having a bad time. When you're in a horrible mood, don't let yourself get so angry that you can't find reasons to laugh. I've pissed off my share of people and I sometimes try to make them laugh right after I've made them angry. They'll seriously try to fight the smile, grin, or laugh that comes naturally and I find that funny so it usually makes me laugh. Good times are the best possible cure for bad times and I think anyone has the choice of turning bad times into good.

THERE ARE BOTH STUPID AND WITTY PEOPLE ALIVE TODAY

There are a lot of stupid people alive today. A lot of them are also lazy. It can be frustrating when you work hard and study to not be either of those things. Keep in mind that there are tons of witty and brilliantly creative people alive today. Want proof? Search Youtube for a while. Check out some Kickstarter projects. Read some blogs. Find out more about the people in your life that you don't know a ton about yet. There are people alive that can make you laugh, cry, think, vomit, or motivate you. There are some that can make you do ALL of those things. Maybe even simultaneously. That honestly sounds like the most amazing bodily function I've ever described. Sorry... getting off track here :-P My main point is that with all the people who make life difficult, there are still many who can make your life easier, more meaningful, more entertaining, and just better overall. Find those people and become their friends.

CONCLUSION

I kind of feel like every thing I said is stuff you already know. Sometimes we need to hear things that we already know a bunch of times to actually implement them in our lives. So I'm gonna say it... but it's up to you to make it happen - have a nice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment