Sunday, June 10, 2012

Evolution of the Cover: The Journals of Jacob and Hyde

Jacob and Hyde has been live for a little over a week now and I promised before its release to give some of the early cover shots. For Jacob and Hyde, I worked with Christine Ticali from http://darkroaddesigns.com/ Some of the early shots looked like this:




Jacob and Hyde 1
Jacob and Hyde 2


I didn't think the eyes looked right or that the covers looked as dark as I wanted them to. I sent Christine this picture to give her an idea of how I wanted the eyes to look:

custom eyes

Instead of making eyes that looked similar, she did something much cooler. She grafted my eyes from this photo on to the cover image which resulted in the following covers:


Jacob and Hyde 3
Jacob and Hyde 4


From there I had her modify the text a little bit and decided I didn't want blood splatter on the cover. The final cover ended up looking like this:

Jacob and Hyde Final

I really like this cover and I think Christine did a great job. For those of you who still haven't purchased a copy, The Journals of Jacob and Hyde can be purchased here. I also published a new history article on Caribbean pirates and privateers from my backlog of history articles. I'll probably talk a little bit more about that in another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment